The prevention of dental caries is essential to maintaining a healthy smile and prevent long-term dental problems. In this complete guide, you will learn how to prevent tooth decay and the key points to maintain excellent oral health.
1. Oral hygiene habits:
Good oral care is essential to prevent cavities. Be sure to follow these oral hygiene habits:
- Scrape your hair at least twice a day, for two minutes each time.
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste.
- Use gentle, circular motions, making sure to brush all surfaces of your teeth, including hard-to-reach areas.
Use of dental floss:
- Floss at least once a day to remove plaque and food debris between the teeth and along the gum line.
- Gently slide the floss in a “C” shape around each tooth, making sure to reach the base of the tooth.
- Use an antimicrobial mouthwash after brushing and flossing to help reduce bacteria in your mouth.
- Rinse for at least 30 seconds and then spit out the rinse
2. Healthy food for teeth:
Diet plays an important role in prevention of dental caries. Below we explain some steps to follow in your feeding:
Avoid sugary foods:
Limit your consumption of sugary foods and drinks, such as sweets, sodas and sugary juices. If you do consume them, be sure to brush your teeth or rinse your mouth with water afterward to remove the sugar residue.
Consume foods rich in calcium:
Include calcium-rich foods such as milk, cheese and yogurt in your daily diet. The calcium strengthens teeth and helps prevent the appearance of caries.
Incorporate fruits and vegetables:
Eat fruits and vegetables, such as apples, carrots and celery. These foods stimulate the production of saliva, which helps neutralize acids and protects teeth against cavities.
3. Regular visits to the dentist:
Do not neglect regular visits to the dentist, even if you do not feel discomfort or dental problems. Regular dental examinations are essential to detect and treat any dental problems in the early stages.
4. Additional protection:
In addition to good oral hygiene habits and proper nutrition, consider the following measures for additional protection:
Application of dental sealants:
Dental sealants are protective coatings that are applied to the chewing surfaces of the back teeth. They help prevent plaque build-up and protect against cavities.
Use of fluoride:
Fluoride strengthens tooth enamel and helps prevent cavities. Use toothpaste and mouthwash that contain fluoride, and consider applying fluoride varnishes at the dental office.
Consult with professionals to take care of and know how to prevent tooth decay
If you are in a phase where your tooth decay is very advanced, you must go to the dentist to treat it. A Abiol clinic we have the best team to make this process easier. We are waiting for you!